“Baby blues” is a common occurrence – 80% of mothers experience it in the first days and weeks after giving birth. Because it is so common, nothing is typically done about it until it worsens into a diagnosis of postpartum depression, at which time anti-depressants may be prescribed. Anti-depressants, like almost all drugs, are passed to the baby through breastmilk, and mothers who don’t want to expose their babies to these medications are often faced with the decision to either stop breastfeeding or struggle with depression. Women suffer through the baby blues almost as a rite of passage to motherhood – but it doesn’t have to be this way.
Placentophagy, or consumption of the placenta, has been reported for decades to help stop the baby blues and diminish postpartum fatigue. Some women have cooked the placenta in a stew, mixed it into a smoothie, or even taken it raw to tap into its powerful effects. For many who feel squeamish about this or want to reap the benefits of placenta for more than just a day or two, there is another option: encapsulation. The placenta can be dried, ground, and encapsulated. The capsules can then be taken daily for a number of weeks. Powdered placenta has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries. In the postpartum period, placenta capsules have been shown to:
- Balance hormones
- Increase and enrich breastmilk
- Increase energy
- Decrease baby blues and postpartum depression
- Decrease lochia, postpartum bleeding
- Decrease iron deficiency
- Decrease insomnia or sleep disorders
- Decreases postpartum “night sweats”
Placentas are rare and powerful – make the best use of the ONE available. Encapsulation is by far the optimum choice for ingestion and preservation.
The Placentas Healing Chemicals:
The known ingredients that give the placenta its healing properties are:
- Gonadotrophin – the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
- Prolactin – promotes lactation
- Oxytocin – for pain and bonding; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant. In pharmaceutical form this is a very addictive drug because it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others and is often referred to as the “love” hormone
- Interferon – stimulates the immune system to protect against infection
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone – boosts energy and helps recover from stressful events
- Cortisone – combats stress and unlocks stores of energy
- Prostaglandins – anti-inflammatory
- Hemoglobin – replenishes iron deficiency and anemia
- Gammaglobulin – immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections
- Urokinase Inhibiting Factor & Factor XIII – stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
The placenta is full of feel-good hormones and healing chemicals, so it makes sense to safely welcome them back into your system during your postpartum period, in order to have a happy babymoon.
Napa Valley Midwives Placenta Encapsulation Services
We will pick up your placenta within 48 hours of delivery, We can then bring it to our home (or yours if you prefer) for preparation, dehydration, and encapsulation. The entire process usually takes 3-4 days, depending on size and method of preparation. The total cost for this service is $200.
Methods of Encapsulation
Traditional Chinese (TCM) Method
Our Napa Valley Midwives & Doulas have perfected the placenta encapsulation process to make it as seamless as possible for our clients. We allow our clients to pick from both the Traditional Chinese medicine and raw method of encapsulation.
With the raw method of encapsulation the placenta is also cleaned, sliced and dehydrated, ground into a powder and then placed into (vegan) capsules. As a result of being dehydrated at a lower temperature and not steamed the raw method capsules can have a more potent effect on energy levels.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC) Method
With the TCM method of encapsulation the placenta is cleaned, steamed, dehydrated, and then ground before being placed into (vegan) capsules. With the traditional Chinese medicine method pills can be stored indefinitely for help with hormone balancing later in life as well as early postpartum.
Smoothies & Tinctures
are also available upon request.